Welcome to the 2017-2018 school year at Pojoaque Valley Middle School. This year we continue to strive to improve on our district focus areas on student achievement and school culture. Our school-wide learning outcomes are:
- All PVMS scholars will demonstrate college and career readiness;
- All PVMS scholars will learn to apply critical thinking, communication skills, collaboration and creativity; and,
- All PVMS scholars will exhibit strength of character.
When your scholar is absent, a telephone call to the office is required. On the day the scholar returns to school, a note must be presented for an excused absence. If there is no telephone call and no note, the day(s) missed will be considered unexcused. Being tardy to school or class interferes with classroom procedures and disrupts the learning environment. Three tardies will equal one day of unexcused absence. To help alleviate absences, please schedule appointments after 2:50 during school days.
Grades are calculated on actual evidence of what scholars’ know and are able to do based on the Common Core State Standards. District policy states, a student who has an excused absence will be given as many days as missed to complete assignments. Any other late work accepted will not receive full credit. If a teacher does accept assignments not completed on time, other than the above circumstances, full credit will not be given with 10 points being removed from the assignment grade each day it is late.
Grading periods are 9-weeks in duration;
- Each 9-week grade will count as 50% of the scholar’s semester grade.
- Progress reports will be sent during the middle of each quarter.
- Progress reports will be a percentage grade and all absences and all tardies will be indicated.
At PVMS we use a standard grading scale where:
- 80%-89%= B;
- 70%-79%= C;
- 60%-69%= D;
- 59% and below = F.
There is a district requirement that 2 grades per week be entered into PowerSchool by your scholar’s teachers.
You and your scholar will receive a login for PowerSchool. You can set up your account to get a daily or weekly progress report. All scholars will be taught how to use PowerSchool on their cell phones. For communication purposes, teacher’s emails are located on the district website, or you can call the school and leave a message. Calls will be returned within one business day unless it’s an emergency. You will find our homepage at www.pvs.k12.nm.us and look under district schools. There you will find our staff listing, emails and course syllabi.
The expected behavior of PVMS scholars follows the PRIDE Matrix and the 3 Personal Standards. Classroom misbehavior is to be handled quickly with a telephone call to a parent/guardian as well as progressive disciplinary consequences.
These are some important expectations for PVMS scholars;
- Cell phones or other electronic devices remain in backpacks/lockers during the school day between 7:30 am – 2:50 pm.
- Scholars will wear the school issued Identification badge every day. Replacements will cost $5.00 each.
- Scholars will utilize a daily planner. The planners will cost $5.00 each and can be purchased at registration.
- Lockers will be issued to scholars by first period teacher and should be utilized.
- Textbooks issued, if lost or damaged cost up to $90.00 each, scholars are responsible for the cost to replace book(s)
For more information regarding school policies please refer to the 2017-2018 PVS Parent Student Handbook.
We welcome your visits and hope to see you become active participants in your scholar’s education here at PVMS.